Thursday, February 13, 2014

Removing the White Silicone Power on My Oven Walls

I received the following email a few days ago from a woman who has silicone powder coating her oven walls after accidentally leaving a silicone mitt in her oven:

Dear Ed,

I have no idea if you can help so all I can do is ASK. Right?

This afternoon I turned my electric oven on to roast a chicken for dinner. I inadvertently left a small silicone hot mitt in the oven the last time I used it. Well...the darned mitt "dissolved" into thick white powder that has coated the entire interior of my oven!!! (Yes, it coated the chicken, too!!!)

Of course, I threw away the chicken and have tried getting the gritty powder off all of the interior surfaces using various methods: I vacuumed the sides with the vac brush attachment; I wiped off what I can reach with wet towels; I used the dryer vent-cleaning brush to try and reach around the elements at top and bottom. The stuff is horrible! It blows like snow and so I wore a mask and goggles in case it is toxic...who really knows?!

My oven interior is extremely hard to access and I am ready to get out the high pressure washer that we use to clean the deck and just go crazy! Of course, I would probably electrocute myself in the process AND flood the kitchen...so, instead, I am asking if you might suggest an alternative. I may have to hire someone to get the oven really clean again...darn it!

NO MORE SILICONE ANYTHING IN MY HOUSE!!!

Thanks,
D.

I've thought about this for a few days now. I've wondered what I might do if I found silicone powder coating my oven.

It occurs to me that ammonia breaks the bonds of many things. That's why ammonia is so effective as a window cleaner. It breaks the bond that holds the dirt on the glass.

If it were me, I might try ammonia first. I'd use a soft bristle brush and I'd scrub the ammonia into the walls of the oven first. Perhaps I would use a toothbrush to scrub the knarly little corners where a soft bristle brush might not reach.

Since this is all an experiment, I'm not sure what I'd do next.

Perhaps I would let the ammonia dry and then try and see if the powder will now vacuum with a vacuum cleaner. However, if I did use I vacuum cleaner I'd use a good model such as a Miele which would presumably keep the silicone in the dirt bag and out of my lungs.

I would not try vacuuming silicone powder with an ordinary vacuum cleaner as may vacuum cleaners filter the air very poorly. Whatever I did, I certainly would not risk getting silicone powder in my lungs!

Perhaps wiping the powder with a damp cloth is a better option as there is no risk of getting silicone powder in the lungs. At least, I hope not.

All of the above is experimental. Since it is an experiment, I might try the ammonia on a small spot on the oven first. There's no point in trying it on the whole oven if it will not work even on a small spot.

My hope would be that since ammonia seems to work on the smooth surface of a glass window that it would work on the smooth surface of an oven wall. You can always hope.

Note that I have not tried any of the above. Therefore, there is some risk in being the first to try it.

However, in general, ammonia is considered to be pretty safe. The one exception that I'm aware of is mixing ammonia and chlorine. I believe that this combination can kill you! Don't do that.

Here are some near-death experiences people have had mixing ammonia and chlorine together:

Chlorine and Ammonia Mixed Together Can Kill You

Make sure the oven is off before trying anything. Since ammonia is wet, it is not a good idea mixing ammonia (which surely has some water in it) with electricity.

I might take the additional precaution of turning off the oven at the circuit breaker if I were to do some really heavy duty cleaning with ammonia

Good luck! Let us know if this works. You can post your results below by hitting the appropriate button. Feedback would be quite welcome.

I have no idea whether or not this will actually work.

Ed Abbott

12 comments:

  1. Dear Ed and reader, i agree with him about turning the stove's power off at the breaker while working on it. Secondly, you may not be aware of this but oven doors are made to be removed easily so we can reach all the way in to clean them. Simply open the door slightly and pull upwards. It will slide right out of the hinge grooves/prongs and you can set it aside while cleaning, then slip it back over the prongs it slid off of and close it. All done! The doors are a bit heavy/bulky, you might want to get a helper to help you lift it out and put it back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bria,

      I had no idea that oven doors can be lifted out like that. Learn something new every day! Thanks!

      Ed

      Delete
  2. w o w ! 81, thats EIGHTY ONE, blogs!! Ed that has to be some kind of Guinness Book of World Records record!
    (ya'll must be snowed in an awful lot up there in Maine :-)


    Not that theres anything thing wrong with it, i'm just blown away by the sheer number of blogs you are able to maintain - most of us have a hard time keeping up with just one or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so sure I do all that good a job of keeping up. Most of them are technical blogs with a small or non-existent audience. For example, every time I fix my printer, I write about it so I'll remember how I did it. If I add 3 milliliters of distilled water to an ink cartridge to get it flowing again, I write about that.

      So, my printer blog is just one little blog. Since it is of little interest to anyone but myself, I make it a separate blog. I write about printer issues on a separate blog because someone who is interested in fixing their printer is not going to want to know how to rake snow off their roof, which is another blog.

      All my blogs are quite topic specific, as is this one. Some have some traffic, but most have little or no traffic. However, even a blog that has little or no traffic can be of value to someone who is looking for topic-specific information that can be found nowhere else.

      It's a good thing to share what you know, no matter how humble that knowledge might be. Even a little bit of sharing can save someone halfway around the world hours and hours of work.

      Thanks for the comment! I'm surprised you noticed! You must be a blogger yourself. At least, you sound like one.

      Delete
  3. It is good to see that there are a lot of ways to remove built up in your oven. I like the natural methods, but I often find myself needing something more industrial. They tend to take care of the job a little better, in my opinion.

    https://products.magnusdist.com/ConvoCleanSolution.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. A silicone oven mitt?! I suppose it's lucky it was just a matter of cleaning-- I think that could have ended much worse. I've found oven cleaners to work well for me, but I've never had anything as immovable as silicone on my oven walls before. Thanks for the tip!

    Marc | https://products.magnusdist.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. really very helpful information and tips for oven cleaning , i was worried alot about my oven stains , tried alot of cleaning materials but useless,thanks for the lovely tips
    haris awais
    author at mroven.org.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was looking for this sure information for quite a while Thanks for sharing.
    Source: Oven cleaning Sevenoaks

    ReplyDelete
  7. An obligation of appreciation is all together for giving such supportive information. I am especially fascinated with your article the End of lease cleaning Mosman | End of lease cleaning Waterloo | End of lease cleaning Pyrmont | End of lease cleaning Southern suburbs and I am happy that I am connected with your site.thanks! Regards

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love baking and I use my oven often. It is high time to clean it because it looks really dirty. Thanks a lot for sharing this natural way of cleaning!

    Oven cleaner near me

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the informative post. It's posts like this that are giving me more confidence in my own abilities.

    couch cleaner Melbourne
    domestic cleaning services Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank You for sharing such an amazing article!! I would Love to share in Deep cleaning services in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete