Sunday, April 11, 2010

Do You Spray
the Heating Element?

 
Just got the following question
via Email:


Do you spray it on the heating element also??

Certainly you do not try to spray
the heating element. There is no
need to spray the heating element
because any food that gets on the
heating element is going to be burned
up, carbon and all.

Typically, there is not any carbon
residue left on the heating element
after the oven has been turned on.

However, I know of no way to avoid
spraying baking soda on the heating
element. It is unavoidable.

So, I would not try to get baking soda
on the heating element but I would
not worry about it either.

Keep in mind that this is true of any
and all spray-on oven cleaning solutions.
All spray-on cleaning solutions are going
to get spray on the heating element. It
is unavoidable.

Also keep in mind that baking soda does
not burn. Baking soda is an ingredient
in some dry chemical fire extinguishers.
I'm not an expert but to the best of my
knowledge, baking soda does not cause
fires. If anything, it puts a fire out.

Ed Abbott

5 comments:

  1. Actually baking soda will put out fires - if there's a small piece of food underneath a stovetop heating element that catches fire, pouring baking soda on it is a safe way to extinguish the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been using your 8 Steps since 2007, and have recommended your site in most of the baking forums I've been on. In fact, my oven is now cleaner than it has ever been! =)

    And yes, I do spray on the heating element to get to the ceiling of the oven, the fan behind the fan grill at the back of the oven, and everywhere else I can get the solution on. Dousing the entire interior of the oven ensures that the stubborn grease and carbon progressively gets cleaned away.

    I've been meaning to thank you all these years for making cleaning out the oven so easy and so fun... after all, even my kids enjoy super-soaking the oven! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brenda,

    Experience counts, doesn't it? I've used the
    baking-soda oven-cleaning technique myself a
    few times.

    However, these days I get my oven cleaning
    experience vicariously through people like
    you. I've learned far more about oven
    cleaning from people like you, Brenda,
    than I've ever adequately been able to
    share back.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, nice site you have here! Keep up the excellent work!




    Baking Oven

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work End of Tenancy Cleaning London

    ReplyDelete