Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Can Baking Soda
Be Used On
a Self-Cleaning Oven?

Lately, I've been getting email from people
who have self-cleaning oven. It has slowly
dawned on me that these ovens have a different
interior surface that needs to be treated with
care.

Put the wrong chemicals on the interior surfaces
of your self-cleaning oven and you damage it.
This is what I'm hearing over and over again.

This begs the question: Can a self-cleaning oven
be damaged by baking soda? Is it safe to use
baking soda on a self-cleaning oven?

This web page seems to think it is OK. It mentions
making a paste with baking soda in it to clean your
oven:

Self Cleaning Oven Repair and Care

Here's another web page that seems to think it
is OK to use baking soda on a self-cleaning
oven:

How to Manually Clean an Electric Self Cleaning Oven

This web page seems to strongly favor baking
soda as a cleaning agent for a self-cleaning
oven:

Self Cleaning Ovens – Toxic For Humans or Only Birds?

I'll be looking at other sources to see if they
agree. I'm not an oven cleaning expert myself so
I depend on outside sources for better information
than I can provide.

Update: June 7, 2013:

Most oven manufacturers provide you with an 800 number
you can call for consumer level information. I'd call
them and ask whether or not you should use baking soda
on your oven.

Oven technology, like all technology these days, changes
so quickly that I'd be reluctant to make a definite
recommendation as to whether or not baking soda is appropriate
for your brand new oven.

Ed Abbott

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the helpful links. I think it is fine to use Baking Soda in my opinion, it's not going to have a detrimental effect on the oven. However I still would use conventional oven cleaning products over this, making sure the cleaning product isn't caustic or hazardous. It can provide a cheap way of cleaning your oven though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing.
    oven repair

    ReplyDelete