Monday, October 12, 2009

Cleaning Your Oven With Baking Soda

 
This is my first post on a new
blog. This blog is all about oven
cleaning and baking soda.

Baking soda can be used to clean
an oven.

Just got an email from a man who
read this article on my website:

Eight Easy Steps to a Clean Oven

He wrote the following:



Interested in your web post as
a potential help to me.

But I've read that NaOH should never
be used in oven cleaning (even though
it's in many products) because it is
too abrasive and too toxic
(super-strong alkaline).

The baking soda does not turn into NaOH,
then, with high temps, water, salt, and
everything else that might be in there?

Thanks.



The NaOH that he refers to in his email is
also called Sodium Hydroxide or lye.

I remember lye used to be sold as a product
called Red Devil. I suspect that
Red Devil is no longer on the market.

It was a product that would produce a chemical
reaction that would create pressure enough
to clear a blocked drain.

It did this by producing heat and pressure,
as I recall.

I've purchased and used this product before
but doubt it is still available. I've not
seen it on supermarket shelves in years.

In any case, the above email indicates his
concern that baking soda might turn into lye
under the right conditions.

My instinct is that this is not very likely
but if anyone out there begs to differ, please
post your reply here.

Thanks!

Ed Abbott

9 comments:

  1. I have a self-cleaning oven, but I'd prefer cleaning it with baking soda if possible. But do you know if this approach works for self-cleaning ovens? Would it damage a self-cleaning oven? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI LuKerr,

    I'm not an expert, however, I doubt that a self-cleaning oven is all that different from one that is not self-cleaning. Basically, a self-cleaning oven has a higher temperature setting that allows it to burn up all the carbon residue left over from past baking spillage.

    I see no reason why a self-cleaning oven would respond differently to baking soda. After all, baking soda is something you apply when the oven is cold.

    Of course, baking soda does not burn. In fact it is an ingredient in fire extinguishers. So, the higher temperature should not matter.

    In short, I see no difference between self-cleaning and regular old-fashioned ovens as far as baking soda is concerned.

    Ed Abbott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ed.

    I just tried it and it worked great!! So amazing~ Now I don't understand why there are so many different brands of oven cleaners (many with environment unfriendly chemicals) when baking soda and water will work just as good~ Anyway, thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to let you know how excited I am to try this oven cleaning method. I have a new born baby and two pre-schoolers and do not want a bunch of abrasive chemicals in our air. Plus, I do not have the amount of free-time needed to "clean" an oven. This method is so easy and safe! Thank you for sharing!

    ~Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the comment above, I said that I doubted that self-cleaning ovens are all the different from other ovens. I may be wrong about this.

    In some of the emails I've received since, people seem to be saying that their self-cleaning ovens have a special coating on the surface which can be damaged. I'm going to research this further.

    Don't know how baking soda affects this special coating or if it affects it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome, such a great idea of sharing...it's helpful at ovenpartsaustralia we are also supplying oven elements.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is a really good article. You make this information interesting and engaging. You give readers a lot to think about and I appreciate that kind of writing.
    leather sofa cleaner
    outside window cleaner

    ReplyDelete