Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Super Strong Cleaner Wipes Numbers Off Oven Dial

Just received the following email:


Dear Ed,

Not sure if you can help but was
just googling and found your site!

I have just tried to clean my landlord's
oven with super strong spray on cleaner...
thought I would clean in and out.. When I
wiped the outside, the numbers around the
dials wiped off! What shall I do?

Thanks!



That is one powerful cleaner! Your email
has caused me to go upstairs and look at
the dial on our oven.

OK. I've just taken a look and I see that
the dial on our oven is actually a knob
that comes on and off. Is this the case
with your oven? I'm not really an expert
on ovens, so I don't really know.

I suppose that I would respond to this problem
differently depending on how bad the situation
is. Are the numbers completely wiped off the
dial? If so, then I might go to an oven appliance
store is see if they have a replacement part.

My first option would be to talk to someone
about a replacement part. For example, here
is an online retailer that seems to have a
selection of oven dials in stock:

Dials and Knobs

I'm not recommending this online retailer
because I don't know them. I'm just saying
that I would start looking around. For example,
I might call the 800 number for the above
online retailer and start asking questions.
As you can see, the number they give at the
top of the above web page is 800-525-5556.

It seems to me that a replacement part is
the simplest and most straight-forward solution
to your problem.

Of course, I'm just guessing, plus using a little
common sense. I'm not an oven appliance repair
guy. Nor am I an expert on ovens.

Ed Abbott

5 comments:

  1. When this happened to me I went to the store and took a photo with my phone of the dial of the same model as mine.

    Back at home I printed the photo and keep it within sight of the oven.

    if you are lucky you might find a pic of your own model on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This happened to me, but the oven I have is no longer sold by the store.

    So, I bought an oven thermometer - it's cheap and can be found at most baking stores - and then I heat up the oven and use a permanent marker to mark out the dial for the temperatures I cleaned off. It's simple and actually far more accurate than what my previous dial actually read. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Help! I mistakenly used over cleaner and then did the self cleaning cycle. How do I rid on the toxic chemicals inside the oven. I Is there a homemade recipe that will clean it out for good?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi ticklishfromadistance,

    Sounds like you did this:

    Cloudy Film on Oven Walls
    After Oven Cleaning


    I don't know what the answer is.

    Ed Abbott

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to add a comment here to mention thanks for you very nice ideas. Blogs are troublesome to run and time consuming thus I appreciate when I see well written material.Your time isn’t going to waste with your posts. Thanks so much and stick with it No doubt you will definitely reach your goals! have a great day!
    Ovens

    ReplyDelete