Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Two Kinds of Self-Cleaning Oven

I received the following email yesterday:


I used a conventional oven cleaner
on a self cleaning oven.  What damage
did I do and what should I do about
it?  Do I need a new oven?  Replace
the inside racks?  Other.....?


I don't really have an answer to this
question. I'm starting to realize that
self-cleaning ovens are more complicated
than I thought they were.

I always thought that a self-cleaning oven
worked by generating a high temperature. End
of story.

Now I'm starting to understand differently. I'm
starting to understand that the interior of a
self-cleaning oven can have a special surface
that must be treated with care. See the owner's
manual that came with your oven for cleaning
instructions.

Today I've been reading about two kinds of
self-cleaning oven:

  • catalytic self-cleaning systems
  • Pyrolytic self-cleaning units

I read about these two kinds of self-cleaning
oven here after scrolling down:

Self-Cleaning Ovens

Perhaps this information will help the
person above who wrote in. I'm not sure.
I'm not an expert on ovens and oven technology.

Ed Abbott

No comments:

Post a Comment