Thursday, May 6, 2010

Why Is There Streaking
in My Oven Door Glass?

 
I received the following email
this week:


Hello

I love and have used your bicarbonate
of soda and water oven cleaning  
method.  Totally eco and very easy.

However ..... I now have on the glass
parts of my oven doors some  streaky
marks that look as though they are
internal bicarbonate of soda marks -
they are streaked from the top of the
glass on the oven to the bottom and
are spread across the oven door.

Could you let me know the best way to
deal with this if possible?

ANY advice would be great, as I don't
know how to deal with this.   They are
ugly great streaks of what looks like
dried on baking soda running across
the internal glass.  Visible from
the outside of the oven and inside
of the oven

Kind regards

Mary


Hi Mary,

Thanks for your vivid description
of the streaks of baking soda. It
sounds to me like your oven door has
two layers of glass. In other words,
it sounds like it is double-insulated.

I don't know this. However, using more
than one layer of glass is a common heat-
saving strategy when building houses. Each
extra layer of glass provides just a little
bit more thermal insulation than one layer
alone would provide.

Since modern ovens often have glass doors,
it would make total sense to me that the
manufacturers of ovens employ the same
strategy as manufactures of windows do.
That is to say, they use more than one
layer of glass to trap the heat inside
the oven.

I'm not an expert. However, this makes
sense to me. Layering the glass will
help keep the heat inside the oven and
help keep the glass cool and touchable
on the outside surface the oven door.

It sounds like you sprayed your oven
door and somehow the solution got between
the layers of glass. Again, I'm speculating.

Apparently you are not the first person
to have this problem. Here's what Whirlpool
says on their website:

Why is there streaking in my oven door glass?

The answer that Whirlpool gives seems to indicate
that it is the top of the oven door that is the
problem. They seem to be saying that care must
be used when cleaning the top part of the door.

I've just left my desk to check on our oven. I
was remembering that the top of the door on our
oven has vents.

I'm back in my chair and indeed, our oven does
have vents running across the entire top part of
the door. I suspect that these vents are the
problem. Getting water into these vents is a problem.

Our oven door is a door with a glass window and
it has vents on the top surface of the door. The
vents seem to vent air out of the top part of the
door just above the oven-door handle.

I suspect that this is the problem. These vents
are probably where the water solution entered
your oven door. Do you have vents on top of your
oven door too?

Whirlpool seems to be saying that the only solution
to the problem is to disassemble the door. Another
thing I notice about our oven is that we have philips-
type screws on the top of our door --- so it would seem
that this is possible.

Of course, dissassembling an oven door is not for the
faint of heart. Wisely, Whirlpool recommends that a
qualified person do this.

By the way, our oven also has some streaking between
the leyers of glass. However, it is not baking soda
as we now have a self-cleaning oven and have never
used baking soda to clean it. The streaking I see
is black and looks like some kind of carbon.

I live in a different house now under entirely different
circumstances then when I used baking soda to clean
my oven. I was in California when I cleaned my oven
using baking soda. I'm now back in the state where
I was born and grew up, which is Maine. Again, our oven
in Maine is self-cleaning, unlike the one in California.

I think it is worth noting that baking soda is not the
only source of this kind of streaking. Our oven door
glass is streaked with a black substance. I'm sure
other solutions can also streak the oven door between
glass layers too.

I'm thinking of rewriting the article and suggesting
that people not spray the vents at the top of their
oven doors with the spray bottle. What do you think?
This seems like common sense to me.

This is the first I've heard of this problem. Streaked
glass is something that never occurred to me. When I first
read your email, I was a bit confused. I was thinking,
How is this possible?

Please don't hesitate to post or write back, especially
if you find a solution to your problem.

Ed Abbott

7 comments:

  1. Interesting post - have you tried reapplying the baking soda and wiping again, this time with a microfiber cloth? I've had good results with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed Abbott here. I'm replying to Alex's comment.

    The woman named Mary, the one who sent me the email that is the basis of this post, seems to be saying that she is unable to get to the streaking because it is between two layers of glass. Am I missing something?

    Did I interpret what she said correctly? Your suggestion is appreciated. However, I don't see how a microfiber cloth would help if the problem is gaining access to the glass surface in the first place. How do you wipe something down if you have no easy access?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ed

    Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I first came to your brilliant baking soda oven cleaning method, as I used a well known commercial product that I accidentally spilt on my arms - it ended up giving me burns. I then thought if it's doing that to my arms, what happens if by accident any gets on food!.....
    I have tried micro fibre cloth and this doesn't work (on my oven anyway). I'm convinced the streaks are inside the glass So I am going to contact the manufacturer and see if they can provide guidance / assistance. I will keep you posted. It is worth thinking about mentioning maybe.....
    Something extra that I have found that is brilliant, is when you are pretty sure baking soda has done its trick, spray the inside of the oven and inside of oven door with white (not brown) vinegar and leave this with bicarb and water mixture on for a few hours - wipe clean and voila! V clean oven.
    Kind regards
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mary,

    Sorry, I seem to have misunderstood that the problem was inside the glass - hope you have some success when you contact the manufacturer. It may be that with their advice part of the glass door can be removed temporarily, allowing you access to clean, before replacing the glass. Hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. have you tried wiping with a chamois leather?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ed

    Thank you very much. My oven is now and clean. Just sprayed it on for 2 days or so, and then rubbed with scotch brite and it came off without any elbow grease at all. And smells nice too unlike the awful cleaners. Mine is a small tabletop oven, so i left the oven door open all the time, so there were no streaks on my door.

    Thanks a lot again
    sang from India

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ed... I hope you're not getting my question twice. I had it all typed and then it disappeared. (Typist error, no doubt!) So, basically, is it okay for the spray to get on the heating elements? I've used your method for years (so great!!), but we have moved and oven has exposed elements; previous ones were covered. I could not find that anyone had asked before. That should've told me not a problem, but didn't want to assume. Please advise if the spray will hurt the elements. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete