Thursday, January 20, 2011

Removing Plastic
From Floor of an Oven

Just got the following email:


HELP......my wife  turned on
the self cleaning feature on
our DACOR..... only problem.....
she left the plastic drip
catcher sheet in the oven......
now there is a white bumpy film
in oven & on glass.....any way
to remove????


Wow! This sounds like a tough
tough problem. Here's where
some people have posted to a
website who also have melted
plastic in their oven:

Melted plastic inside oven - help!!

Perhaps a razor-blade might help
get the plastic off the window.

What kind of surface is the oven?
I assume it is metal with an enamel
type paint. However, these days, this
is not always a safe assumption as
some ovens are coated with non-stick
surfaces.

Here's someone who claims to have
successfully removed plastic from
the bottom of their oven:

How do you remove melted
plastic from electric oven?


If it were me, I'd try to remove
the bulk of the plastic before cooking
again. If I could do it with a putty
knife without damaging the surface, I
might try this.

The reason I would want to get most of
the plastic out before cooking again is
the problem with plastic fumes. Plastic
smells pretty toxic to me.

A thought that occurs to me is that plastic
softens and melts before it burns. It might
take some careful experimentation, but the plastic
might be softer at say, 300 degrees, than it is
at room temperature. Of course, you don't want
to risk burning your skin doing this It might make
sense to wear burn-resistant gloves or mittens. For
example, you might wear welding gloves or pot holders
on your hands.

Note that I've never tried to warm plastic up
myself to the point where it melts. Therefore
my thoughts on this are purely speculative and
not based on experience. I'm not sure if it
would be possible to heat the plastic somewhat
before removing it.

Write to me if you have a better idea or if you
find something that works. Anyone else have
suggestions? Please post below.

Ed Abbott

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to add a comment here to mention thanks for you very nice ideas. Blogs are troublesome to run and time consuming thus I appreciate when I see well written material.Your time isn’t going to waste with your posts. Thanks so much and stick with it No doubt you will definitely reach your goals! have a great day!
    Ovens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burning the plastic wouldn't be much of a good idea. The smell of burning plastic isn't a good scent at all, and it's harmful to the environment. You might want to try to put some soap on it. It might work. If the plastic becomes slippery enough, it'll be a lot easier to take it off.

    - Jeleryl Comisky

    ReplyDelete